Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Jaidev - An Unsung Hero of Hindi Film Music.

10 Years before, in an interest to explore Old Hindi songs, I bought a Kishore Kumar Mp3 Cd from a shop at Ramanathan Street(T-Nagar). Those days, I don't even have a basic idea of who is the composer, singer. Somewhere before I had heard Kishore Kumar's name. So purely out of instinct, I bought the CD. Coming back to the Mansion, I played the CD in my friend's system. This continued for few days but ultimately I lost the interest as those songs failed to appeal me.


Then, after 3 years of that disappointing experience, one day, I was glancing (one of)  my friend's video playlist in Orkut. Among that, I inadvertently listened to a song, which literally shook me, by its heart-rending composition. It was a Eureka moment for me as I had discovered that is the music I had been seeking for. And, the Composer for that song was Jaidev. From there my search began for his songs in Youtube, Google. Whatever song I dug from his treasure, yielded great listening experience. Subsequently, in the next few weeks, Jaidev became my favourite composer in Hindi Film Music. I started collecting his songs, news, or any trivial fact about him. But sadly, even Google couldn't throw much information about him. Even the people who listen his songs aren't aware Jaidev is the composer. It's a pity that such a great composer doesn't have a biography or books written about him. All we can know Jaidev only through Wikipedia.



Jaidev was born in Kenya before moving to India(Ludhiana). Interestingly, he ran away from home seeking a chance in acting. After acting as a child artist in few movies he zeroed in Music as his area.

After Ilaiyaraaja, Rahman, Jaidev is the only Bollywood composer to win Three National Awards for Film Music. Despite his achievements, he couldn't become a star composer. Those days, almost every director/actor had a dedicated composer: Raj Kapoor - Shankar- Jaikishan, Guru Dutt, Dev Anand - S.D. Burman, Rajesh Khanna - R.D. Burman. But Jaidev didn't have any backing of a star or a director. Though he composed timeless melodies, they were all washed away in the Box office disasters and unreleased movies.



Jaidev is the one who introduced Hariharan to Hindi Film Music with the classic ghazal "Ajeeb Samantha Mujpar" after the singer had impressed Jaidev with his voice in AIR. But it took years for Hariharan to cement his place, Thanks to Rahman who brought the great singer after a hiatus.



The trademark of Jaidev's songs: They are strongly rooted in classical, heavy compositions. This could be yet another reason that they didn't strike a chord with larger audience. But that is what edges Jaidev than other composers. His songs had some excellent usage of Classical instruments like Santoor(Yeh Dil Aur Unki), Sarod(many songs), Sarangi and even in Western Classical(Har Aas Ashqbaar Hai). Jaidev is one of the Composers in Bollywood who gave us Music in its Purest form.



I wish someone brings a good Biography on this unsung genius.

Note: In 2006, Outlook came out with an issue listing Greatest 20 Songs of Bollywood. Even Shankar-Ehsan-Loy's song managed to find a list in that 20, but, Jaidev couldn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive